How To Care For Black Paint! - Groom Your Vehicle???

(explosion) - [Joey] Hey! What's up guys? Joey here with another episode of Chemical Guys Detail Garage. Today in the shop, we got this beautiful black Maserati here next to me. So, today I'm gonna be showing you guys how to go in and clean, maintain, and enhance the shine on this black paint. As you guys know, black is a little bit different than most other cars because with the color black and any kind of dark color vehicles, you see everything that's going on. So, dust, dirt, bird poop, all that stuff, you see it you know, like an eyesore. So, today I'm going to be showing you guys my tips and tricks on how to make your paint look nice, maintain it, and keep it looking that way. This car for the most part is garage kept and it is maintained and it is waxed. So, for any car that's you know maintained in the garage, shouldn't really have too much you know work or grime that's get built up on it for the most part it should be like light dust and debris, but this car is getting some work done onto the convertible top, so it has been sitting outdoors exposed to the elements, and it's created this light little layer of grime. So, today we're going to be showing you guys how to clean it, and you know enhance the paint, make it look as black as possible, as sleek as possible, and as lustrous as it can get. So, just with any other detail, we're gonna go ahead and wanna start with the wash. So, in front of me I got my two bucket method set up with my two dirt traps to filter my wash buckets. I am gonna be using a foam cannon to foam up this car. And my choice of soap is going to be our Blacklight hybrid car wash soap. Now, the reason I've chosen this soap is because this soap is gonna go ahead and maintain and enhance a nice, crisp dark finish. So, it's not really gonna give you like that bright finish that it would on a white car or on a bright colored car. It's gonna give you more of a more in depth more of a sleek kind of look to enhance this dark paint and make it look as deep as possible. So, now I'm gonna go ahead and put my dirt traps in my bucket. And like I've said plenty of times before, you wanna dunk these in at an angle and set it down towards the bottom to create that suction so that your dirt trap stays locked at the bottom and filters your wash water. Now, same thing. I'll go ahead and do that with my second bucket here. Lock that down. And, we're good to go. Now, I'm gonna go ahead and get my soap, my Blacklight soap. And, I'm gonna go ahead and use the blue bucket to kind of dedicate as my soap bucket. And I'll use the black dirt trap bucket as my rinse bucket. So, same thing just wanna go ahead and give it two ounces. That's equivalent to about two good squirts. (soap squirts) That's it. So, now that I've got that set up, I'm also gonna fill up my foam cannon right now just because once I fill this up, I'm gonna go ahead and rinse the car and then we're gonna go straight into foaming it. So, like I said it's already filled with water, all you wanna do is put about two ounces so like you know two good squirts. (soap squirts) That's it. Put the nozzle back on. Make sure you're gentle with it. And then you're gonna wanna stir it. You don't wanna shake it, because it's gonna foam it in here and it's not gonna work out for you when you wanna foam up. So, make sure you stir the product inside the foam cannon so that when the water pressurizes it, it doesn't pressurize the foam, it actually pressurizes the detergent. You're good to go. So now, I'm gonna go ahead and rinse the car and once we do that we're gonna go ahead and layer it with a coat of foam. Keep in mind, this car does have a convertible top. I'm gonna go ahead and do that off camera, just because cleaning a convertible top can be a bit different. So, I'm gonna go ahead and focus on the surrounding areas such as the paint, the glass. This foam cannon does have an adjustable nozzle should I say. So, the nozzle you can adjust it to shoot in a you know in a wide fan manner or you can actually shoot it directly. So, I'm gonna go ahead and utilize this tool to my advantage, so when I get like towards the hood, I can open up as wide as possible. And, then when I get towards the sides I can kind of close it up so I have more control of my foam cannon so I don't get the foam all over the place. (upbeat music) (water spraying) Alright guys, so now that we're done rinsing off the car, we're gonna go ahead and connect our foam cannon. And, I want you guys to watch closely how I maneuver the foam cannon. So, when you see me moving it, the way I move the nozzles, so that you guys can see what's the best way of utilizing the foam cannon so you have the most control possible. (upbeat music) (foam spraying) (music in foreign language) Alright, so now that the car's all foamed up, we're gonna go ahead and wipe it down with a wash mitt. So, we're gonna go ahead and put this in our hand and we're gonna go ahead and dunk it into our soap solution bucket. And, remember usually we start from the top to bottom, but since we're not working on the convertible top, we're gonna start from the windshield and work our way down and around. (water dripping) So, same thing whenever you're wiping down any part of your vehicle you wanna go in a straight motion just because if you get any dirt caught up on your wash mitt you don't wanna mimic that swirl motion all around your car and cause little swirl marks which as you guys know on black are extremely noticeable. So, you definitely don't wanna get that done. So, remember straight lines. Go and do about half the windshield. And then, I also fold it to the other side and do the hood. Be gentle with it as you go. Remember, this car wasn't super dirty so I don't really feel the grime on the wash mitt too bad. And, then you wanna go back to your rinse bucket, gonna wring it out first. (water dripping on the ground) Enter your rinse bucket. And, remember you wanna kind of agitate the noodles, the chenille noodles towards the bottom to agitate any dirt that's caught on the microfibers to get out because you don't wanna recycle that same dirt you're taking off, getting it back onto the paint, and scratching it all up. (water dripping to the ground) And, remember when you're working on a black car, this is a key thing that you wanna do because the more filtered of a wash you have, the less of a chance you have to scratch your paint, and a lot better you know your paint looks, so at the end of the day or whenever you're looking at it in the sun. So, I'm gonna go and finish up the rest of this vehicle. We'll rinse it off, and we'll get to the drying process. (upbeat music) Alright, so now that we're done washing and rinsing off the vehicle, we're gonna go ahead and proceed to the drying process. And, my choice of towel today is gonna be the Woolly Mammoth. The reason I love using this towel is because it's thick, it's plush, it's silk lined, so it's not gonna scratch your paint, and it's gonna absorb all that water that's on the paint. So, you wanna use something soft and plush. You don't wanna use something that's dry, something that's thin, you know something that possibly can scratch up your paint because like I said this is black and you guys already know I can't you know say this enough, you see everything on black. You don't wanna use a towel that's gonna be scratching up your paint and in the long run causing swirls and you know just totally devalues the look of your vehicle. So, I'm gonna go ahead and finish off the rest of this vehicle with the Woolly Mammoth and we'll be back and we'll bring the car inside for the next step of this detail. (upbeat music in foreign language) Alright guys, so we're back. We got the car inside the bay and we were looking at the paint and something that we did mention at the beginning of the video was that the paint was in a pretty good condition. I think I may have spoken too soon. So, upon bringing the car in, we inspected it with our shop lights. You know, we have our LED lights going up and we also have our ultrabrights. We checked out the paint, and you guys can see that there's some fine scratches, fine swirl marks, light little bits of oxidation here and there. So, we're gonna go ahead and show you guys what to apply on your paint to go ahead and cover and mask some of these minor imperfections in the paint to make your paint look a lot better, a lot more black, a lot more in depth. So, today we're gonna be applying Blacklight to the car, not Blacklight soap, but Blacklight glaze. Blacklight glaze is a glaze that fills in minor imperfections in your paint such as scratches, swirl marks, you know, it'll clean up light oxidation here and there, but ultimately what this is meant for is to give your paint a better foundation. And, what I mean by that is it's gonna go ahead and you know, increase the depth of the black. You'll see more of a darker kind of tone, more of a lustrous kind of look, and it just makes the paint look a lot better as opposed to seeing all those scratches and swirls. So, I'm gonna be showing you guys how to apply this on your paint. It's very easy. It goes on just like a wax, buffs off just like a wax. The only difference is that this is a glaze with similar properties. So, what that means is you're gonna get that UV protection, those hydrophobic properties that you get from a sealant, in a glaze. So, Blacklight comes in a cream form which means you can go ahead and apply it just like a wax like I mentioned. So, with the Blacklight all you wanna do is apply a few dots to your microfiber applicator. You're gonna blot it onto the surface and you're gonna work in the straight motions, left and right, up and down in a crosshatched pattern so that you get the most uniform and even coat as possible. With Blacklight since it is a glaze, you do wanna allow time for those fillers to break down and fill in those scratches and swirls. So, since we're working indoors, we're gonna go ahead and apply a coat, and then you can let it sit for up to 15 minutes, so that those you know those micro-swirl fillers can fill into the pores of the paint and the scratches so that it gives it the time so it can break down and settle into the finish of the paint. Alright guys, so now we're up close and personal with the car so I can show you guys how to properly apply this. But, before I do I wanna mention that you do wanna remove the tags from your microfiber applicators or any kind of towel that you use. (tag rips) Take that right off. Toss it out. Do whatever you wanna do with it. And then, you're gonna go ahead and apply a few drops of Blacklight onto your applicator. So, I personally like to do about four dots to begin with. And, one thing with these cream based products is once you start working them in, your padding is saturated and then you know that product can actually kind of stretch it out to kind of do like almost a whole side of a vehicle without having to do four dots per panels. So, in reality I would do four dots for this panel, probably stretch it out to half of the door, and then I would probably do two more dots just to kind of get through the whole quarter panel and I'll have this whole entire you know side done. So, like I said, blot it out first, and you can always blot it out throughout the rest of the car. I usually kind of like start some of the next panel just so that I can kind of like spread it out over here. Same thing, left and right, up and down. And then, once you get toward like the heavy concentration it'll be fine because at this point that you're working on the product, it'll kind of replenish itself with a fresh coat and you can kind of spread that out. A problem that I see with some people is they'll kind of start with like a blotted out area and they'll do it in one section and then they'll kind of just go about it and then it'll you know by the time they get to the further part of the panel it's kind of very thin, very light and you know it doesn't really give you that same kind of like uniform coat. So, remember we wanna make sure that we apply this product as thin as possible so that we make the best use of our product and so that we don't get a heavy concentration of product in just one section. So, see right here, I have some you know excess right here. What I like to do is I'll pick that up and I'll bring it over here to kind of distribute that excess product throughout the panel. Remember, the better and the thinner you have your lawyer, the easier it'll be to buff off and make sure you get towards the lower part of the vehicle. Don't wanna neglect the lower parts of the vehicle just cause you don't see 'em as much. Don't neglect 'em. And, I usually like to go again. Go in an up and down motion just to make sure that all this coat stays nice and flush and even. Do that, do this right here. And, that's pretty much as thin as I can spread it. Like I said, I still have some product on my applicator so I'm gonna go ahead and stretch that onto the door and pretty much as far as I can before I need to go ahead and reapply a few more drops of product. The same thing, left and right. And now, is that point where I might wanna go ahead and apply about two more drops. So, I'll go ahead and apply those in the middle. Kind of blot it out like I said. And, keep working it onto the surface so I get that most even coverage as possible. I'm gonna go ahead and finish up the rest of this vehicle. I gotta go ahead and go all the way around, especially that hood. That hood is monstrous, but we're gonna go ahead and coat you know we're gonna coat the whole car and we'll be back in 15 minutes to buff it off and we'll show you guys the results from there. (upbeat music) Alright guys, so now that we're done applying the layer of Blacklight glaze, I'm gonna show you guys how to maintain that beautiful shine and protection that's on there using Hybrid VO7 spray sealant. Now, this right here, it's a spray sealant but it's also a quick detailer in one. So, what that means for you is you can use it as a quick detailer and as a maintenance to your sealant or wax that you have on the paint. So, in this case I'm using this product as a hybrid to wipe off light dust, debris, fingerprints, and any kind of bird poops that you know land on the paint, and it's also gonna maintain the layer of sealant, the shine, the protection that it has, so that you know it's always nice and shiny, and it's always protected at all times. So, with something like this it's as simple as a spray and wipe. So, I'm gonna go ahead and do the whole vehicle. I'm gonna show you guys how to easily just spray and buff off the sealant formula so that you get that nice, deep, rich, high shine and maintain that coat of protection. My name is Joey, this is Chemical Guys Detail Garage. We'll see you guys next time. (upbeat music) (upbeat music)

Comments